Atlantic Z Car Club
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:27:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join us on facebook! Andrew started a facebook group for us. Join and help spread the word about our club. Keep in touch with fellow members and it's a great way to organize group rides this summer.
16969 Posts in 3013 Topics by 960 Members
Latest Member: SkiDad62
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Atlantic Z Car Club
|-+  Tech Talk
| |-+  1984 - 1989 300ZX (Z31)
| | |-+  1984 3ooZX Turbo build
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1984 3ooZX Turbo build  (Read 1564 times)
TimmyD

« on: August 12, 2012, 08:40:53 PM »

Well I bought this 1984 Nissan/datsun 300 zx Turbo about 2-3 months ago , I fell in love with the car , the look and style of the car were second to none in my mind . I had my fair share of issues with it , and had lost my mind and tried to sell it a few times , but have since  come to my senses and have started the long task of planning my over the winter build of this car .

What I am starting with :

1984 300zx trubo
3.0 V6 turbo ( VG30et with t-3 )
5 Speed Borg warner T-5

The altenator was toast , the floors are solid but ugly repair , and the body has it share of bondo and bad body work , like using quarters as shims ( LOL ) . I had to replace the altenator right off the go in order to drive it , I replaced the tires as the ones that were on it were weather cracked severly bad . Replaced the front and rear suspention as the absorbers were not absorbing anything ! The electric suspention had not worked in the car for some time , so I replaced the leaking shocks with new aftermarket , I have replaced the rims with RTX 15x8 reds . With a great amount of help from Mark ( Muzzy ) the JDM intercooler was installed with 2.5 inch piping and a turbonetix Blow off valve , doing the intake piping across the front of the engine meant we had to run electric fans ( dual 9 inch ) and custom built diamond plate fan cowl . With that done I installed the aftermarket boost gauge as well as an oil pressure gauge and then the manual boost controler . I also had an MSD boost timing manager hooked up , but it was giving me nothing but problems so it was disconnected and sold .  I have also replaced the T-top seals around the glass itself . Works extremely well , however I am running out of fuel in the top end of my boost , which is about 10-12 psi . 

This winter :

I am planning with the help of Muzzy , this winter to repair the frame rails and floor ( make them look prettier ) , Install all polyurathane bushings under car , including control arms , spring seats , rack bushings , etc . Also eliminating the factory ECU and running Mega Squirt system , with larger injectors , fuel pump . Going to run a t3/t4 turbo , with electronic boost controler and tubo timer . Have a second engine lined up to build up but saving that for the following winter . However going to tear down the engine in it now , and go over it and replace all gaskets and timing belt with water pump . Want to put in an aluminum rad with the electric fans to help with cooling . May freshin up the transmission with some new bearings and a clutch before mating it back up to the engine .  and of course new seals and bearings for the rear diff . followed by new axels to take the new found punishment . I have a new interior coming Via Paul wilcox getting rid of the red and putting black in . I would like to upgrade the brake to Z-32 brakes ( have to trake down the parts and info to do this ) .  Maxima altenator 90 amp or maybe 350 z altenator for the 110 amp range . Need to replace the fuel sending unit ( does not read right ) and reapir filler hose or replace it as it leaks when I try to fill it , I can pump about 30$ of gas in total it last me about 3-4 days of conservative driving then another 30 $ at the pumps . While Engine is out being freshend up I willl finish removing A/C system and clean up engine bay and paint it .

Parts attained so far :

Z-32 connecting rods and pistons
Z-32 fuel injectors
Thermal switch adapter for the rad fans
Mega squirt 2 plus system
Fuel Tank
Filler neck
Interior ( black )
Head Lights ( complete assemblies )
Engine
Transmission
Total poly bushing kit
Spring seat bushings ( poly )
Rack bushings ( poly )
adustable fuel pressure regulator
High discharge coil
AEM Air/ fuel gauge with wide band O2

Purchasing for winter

Engine gasket kit
Spoiler
T3/t4 trubo
Injectors ( 600 cc or bigger )
255 LPH in tank fuel pump
Aluminum rad
Poly engine mounts
Poly transmission mount
Poly diff mount
Tripple gauge a pillar pods
All new positve and ground cables ( as these cars were known for ground issues )
CM performance 3 inch stainless steel exhasut from turbo back

Still looking for : ( please let me know if you have any of this and your willing to sell or barder )

Forged pistons
Z-32 Brakes calipers and rotors
Factory spoiler
AE T tops ( mirrored )
Good tail lights

As well as any info you can offer or suggestions you go please donot hesitate to say something as I am still a little confused at how I am going to do some of the stuff I want to do , like the brake up grade as I was told that the z32 rotors will not fit the z31 set up . I will take pics as progress is made and continue with the build as I accomplish things ,

TimmyD

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »

Tried to post pics but they are too big  , I will see if I can upload to a site and leave a link , this will be a big build .
Andrew
2011 Pres
Administrator

I spent how much and it's still not working?

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »

I have done this before so here is what you do...

1. Upload all pics to facebook.
2. Right click and save them to a folder
3. Upload the nice resized ones here.

good luck and really good luck.

A

1984 300ZXT AE
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: